William Henry East was born in 7 September 1896. Willie was a gardener.
Enlisted : Number 4761. Enlisted at Port Adelaide on 20 October, 1915. He had served for 4 years in the Senior Cadets, Lobethal; 3 months in the Citizen Military Forces. 10th Battalion. 50th Battalion.
Died : Killed in action in France on 4 September 1916. He was with his cousin Albert at the time of his death. Albert dug William’s body, along with ten others, from the rubble.
Buried : He was buried at Mouquet Farm and his grave was lost. However in 1937 it was located and he was reinterred in the London Cemetery and Extension, Longueval, Albert Bapaume Area, France – plot V, Row D, grave no 25
Family: Henry East and Charlotte Rann married in Woodside on 26 September, 1895. They had the following children:
- Walter Leonard (Rann) (born SA, 28 September 1894, died Gallipoli Peninsula, Turkey,15 May 1915)
- William Henry (born Forest Range, SA, 7 September 1896, died Pozières, France, 4 September, 1916,)
- Edith Adelaide (born Forest Range, SA, 1898, married name Harding)
- Elizabeth Ann Charlotte (born Forest Range, SA, 1898, died 1967, married name Coulter)
- Thomas Edward (born Forest Range, SA, 1902)
- Florence Amy Eveline (born Lobethal, SA, 1905, married name Norton)
- Elsie May (born SA,1907, died 27 September 1995, married name Eastham)
- David (born SA,1909)
- John Richard (born SA,1912, died Woodside, SA)
- Frank (born SA, 1916, died SA, abt 2004)
- George (born SA, 1918)
William’s brother Walter Leonard was also killed in action.