Walter Leonard East was born in Adelaide in 28 September 1894. He was a gardener. Enlisted : Number 474. Enlisted at Morphettville, 24 August 1914, having been in the ‘Citizen Forces’ for two years. 10th Battalion. Action : Sailed from Adelaide on the Ascanius 20 October 1914. Awarded 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal. See AIF project, Australian War Memorial and National Archives for further information. Died : Killed in action 15 May 1915 at Gallipoli Buried : Buried towards the head of the gully near Anzac Cove. Re-interred at Lone Pine Cemetery, Gallipoli Peninsula, Canakkale Province, Turkey – plot 2, row A, grave no. 17
Family : His mother, Charlotte Rann, married Henry East in Woodside on 26 September, 1895.
- Walter Leonard (Rann) (born SA, 28 September 1894, died Gallipoli Peninsula, Turkey,15 May 1915)
- William Henry (born Forest Range, SA, 7 September 1896, died Pozières, France, 4 September, 1916,)
- Edith Adelaide (born Forest Range, SA, 1898, married name Harding)
- Elizabeth Ann Charlotte (born Forest Range, SA, 1898, died 1967, married name Coulter)
- Thomas Edward (born Forest Range, SA, 1902)
- Florence Amy Eveline (born Lobethal, SA, 1905, married name Norton)
- Elsie May (born SA,1907, died 27 September 1995, married name Eastham)
- David (born SA,1909)
- John Richard (born SA,1912, died Woodside, SA)
- Frank (born SA, 1916, died SA, abt 2004)
- George (born SA, 1918)
Walter’s brother William Henry East was also killed in action.